Curtain Ideas for Small Windows
Today we would like to expand on a topic of curtains for small windows. The Atlantis Curtains specialists declare with full responsibility: when it comes to decoration, the size of a window is not an issue. We know how to advantageously leverage a small window opening so that the curtains will be the room adornment thanks to our competent approach.
By correctly combining colors, fabrics, and curtain styles, the drapes may not only become the beautification, but also balance the room proportions, giving it a harmonious look.
Choosing Curtains by Style
The classic option with a lambrequin, dense drapes on the sides and sheer curtain for the entire width of the window. We recommend using curtain holders in this case. This solution will allow you to slightly expand the opening area without making it burdensome.
Simple design of Roman blinds (straight cut with no folds) of light color schemes will do if you prefer not to place the emphasis on small windows. Such types of curtains will fit most rooms.
Roller shades perfectly fit many interior styles. One of their advantages is that you can control their length. In case of blinds, the slats or panels are located in horizontal or vertical positions. Moreover, the material and colors can be very diverse, and the fabric can be pleated or straight.
If your premises are small, we advise you to pay attention to short curtains — they give a certain charm with all the simplicity of cut and coloring. The length to the windowsill or slightly higher will be the most optimal.
Cafe-style curtains look pretty and simple. Usually 30-60 cm long, they are traditionally hung in the middle of the window using a horizontal bar attached to it. These curtains cover only the lower part of the window and are ideal for the kitchen. In addition, this is a cost-effective option since few materials and canvas are required for sewing.
Hourglass is quite an original way to drape small windows. The canvas is stretched over the entire area of the glass on both sides, and in the middle it is gathered and tied with a ribbon, bows or a piece of cloth.
Also, pay attention to the curtains without a curtain rod. This is a good choice for small windows as the curtain rod will not possess any part of the space. The curtain itself is hung on special metal holders.
Choosing Curtains by Color and Fabric
- Give preference to the drapes made of thick fabrics of rich intense colors for additional accents in your interior. Otherwise, pick pale light materials.
- You should definitely avoid massive abstractions as large patterns will look ridiculous on a small piece of canvas.
- If the task is not to prevent the sunrays pouring into the room, give priority to sheer or lightweight fabrics. For darkening, install blackout roller blinds as an additional element for this option.
- Keep in mind that lightweight materials of light shades will visually blur the window edges and increase the space of premises.
When selecting the curtains and other home textiles, designers advise taking into account the interior peculiarities so that the curtains will emphasize it. We suggest following the basic general rules to make your premises with small windows look stylish and elegant:
- When deciding on the color of curtains for a small room, consider the wallpaper pattern. If the wallpaper in this room is unicolored, the curtain may be with figures and vice versa.
- Choose plain color shades — they do not attract attention to a small window and visually enlarge the opening.
- If you are not a fan of lush decorations, pick complex curtain styles and decorative elements with a pinch of salt as they make the drapes more voluminous, and the window may appear completely hidden behind the cloth.
- When decorating small windows, you will have to avoid floor-length drapes, since a narrow or low window will look awkward framed with long curtains. The next rule is applied here: a small opening works with a small dressing.
- Do not ignore to use some tricks to visually increase the ceiling height or expand the space with a ceiling cornice.
Small-sized openings are not a sentence to the interior design of your room. There are many techniques and options for draping small windows. Use the described ideas to advantageously leverage small windows and transform them into a signature of the room.
Atlantis Curtains offers a wide range of nice made to measure curtains to order in Dubai. We use only high-quality fabrics. Our specialist visits your place, takes necessary measurements, and can offer appropriate interesting curtain design solutions for your apartment or house. Your order will be ready and installed within 2-3 business days, depending on the volume of work. Atlantis Curtains provides all types of window dressing to suit any taste – Proceed to select the curtains.