How to Measure Correctly for Window Treatment
Curtains are an integral element of decoration of any residential, and often non-residential premises. They can be made from a wide variety of fabrics. Drapery hides window openings from prying eyes, lets the natural light in the room, and protects the interior decoration from dust — and this is not the full list of window treatment’s features. Both designers and individuals use curtains in interior decoration.
Despite the wide variety of made to measure curtain options in Dubai, it is not that easy to choose the correct size of drapes for your home. Customised curtains fit perfectly if their length and width parameters are measured correctly.
Before taking measurements, decide what type of window treatment will fit your taste and meet interior style requirements. Depending on the drapes’ length, they can be divided into 4 groups:
- short (1-2 cm above windowsill level);
- below the windowsill, hanging by 10-15 cm;
- touching the floor, or floating 1-2 cm above it;
- puddled (breaking or pooling the floor, with 15-60 cm of drapery length).
When measuring the curtain’s height and calculating its length, consider the type of curtain heading and the style of drapes you want.
Determining Correct Curtain Length and Width
When buying curtain fabrics, you should know how to choose the curtain size.
To accurately determine the height of window treatments, use the right measuring tool — a metal tape measure.
- The height is measured from the end of the hook on which the drapes will be hung to the windowsill or floor, depending on the curtain design. Make sure to take measurements at three points: on the sides and in the middle of the window opening. If the measurements differ, take the smallest value.
- Now take into account the type of curtains selected. With short styles, deduct 1-2 cm from the resulting length so that the curtains do not touch the surface. For the floor-cut options, add 10-15 cm. Once you prefer curtains dragging on the floor, add the length of drapery.
- For the short and floor-length options, take into account the distance from the bottom of the hook to the top of the drapes — it depends on the chosen type of curtain tape and is equal to the distance from the eyelet for the hook to its top edge.
- The sum of these three values will result in the desired length of window treatment. Remember that drapes also need to be folded on the top where the curtain tape is sewn — include the size of this turndown in the total length.
- Each curtain should be twice the window width. The lighter the curtains are, the more fabric you need. Buy enough cloth so that you can drape it. Do not drape materials with many patterns, otherwise the pattern will be crumpled and the general appearance of window treatment will look ridiculous.
If all measurements are taken correctly, the window treatment will totally correspond to the selected style.
If you are still not sure how to measure curtains and do not want to take the risk, AtlantisCurtains specialists are always there to help and are happy to offer you curtains which will add zest to your rooms.